3.15.2012

What We Ate: {Sweet Potato-Cheddar Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies}

Well if that isn't quite the name for a cookie, I don't know what is.

But first things first.

The fun part of March Madness starts today!

Just a little about me, I hate watching basketball on TV {those squeaky shoes just drive me into madness}. If I'm going to watch it, I want to be in the arena. And even then, there are several other sports I would prefer over basketball. But there is a little thing called March Madness. There is also this boy that I live with. Therefore, whether I like it or not, every March, Mike's mind is nearly completely consumed by college basketball. And instead of fighting a battle that I will never win, I get involved. Because when there is a chance that I could beat Mike at something, I'm in full force. So the brackets have been filled out and so far, I'm winning by 1. Thank you BYU for coming back. You saved me.

Today is my shareadelicioussweetrecipe day. But unfortunately, I haven't made anything in the past week. Last night I started a cake, but it's not quite finished therefore it will have to wait until next week. So I had to dig into my archives. Yes, I have been taking pictures of the food I make for years now. So I give you a cookie and a post on my {private} blog from June of 2010.

June 27, 2010 {side note: living in Utah for the Summer for Mike's internship}

Last night I made Sweet Potato-Cheddar and Oat Cookies. Interesting idea, right? I know, that's why I just had to make them. (Side note: thanks to mom and mominlaw for letting me invade their kitchens and use their baking ingredients....you keep my hobby alive!) I have never ever in my life bought a sweet potato. We don't eat many potatoes in our house. Did you know that their are white sweet potatoes? Yeah I didn't either. And that is all that Smith's had so that is what I used. After the boiling the sweet potato and Mike's super awesome mashing skills, oh and Mike's super awesome cheese grating skills, the hardest part was over. (It sounds like I didn't do anything. I helped...I promise!) I try to always use mini chocolate chips because they seem to make everything more chocolaty. All in all, these cookies are fantastic. Super moist and soft. I had fun testing my family as to what they thought the two secret ingredients in these cookies are. You can't taste the cheese or the potatoes. Really, I am sure the potato just makes it softer and the cheese gives it a slightly more savory flavor but really it just tastes like a really good chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. If I made these again, I would probably just omit the cheese because you can't really taste it and it just adds a bunch of extra, unnecessary calories. Who knows though, maybe without the cheese, these cookies would taste awful. Either way, its fun to make a recipe with strange ingredients in it. It makes the outcome so much more exciting!

Photobucket

Sweet Potato-Cheddar Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

The Stuff:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup + 2 TB cooked & mashed sweet potato
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup quick oats
2 cups chocolate chips

The Doing:

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and set aside.
In a big bowl, cream the butter and sugars together. Add eggs, sweet potatoes, and cheddar cheese, combine. Fold in the dry ingredients; then chocolate chips and oats.
Place on a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

3 comments :

  1. These look absolutely delicious! Yumm! Maybe I'll make these for the st patty's day party this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so weird, but it's filled with things I love so I must give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this is good. Somehow my oven doesn't function that well anymore.. so baking often turns out as a disaster.. somehow my oven burns everything.. oops

    x

    Marielle

    ReplyDelete