3.22.2012

What We Ate: {Lemonade Cake}

You know what is the worst?

Grabbing a cookie sheet after its been in a BROILing oven with your bare hand.
Now why would I do such a silly thing?

Well lets just say I took it out with a hot pad, set it down, went and did something else and then went back and grabbed the cookie sheet with my bare hand, apparently completely forgetting that I had just gotten it out of the oven 2 seconds earlier.

I guess we can call that a senior moment.

Luckily there was minimal blistering but I did spend the rest of the evening feeling like I was playing with fire, literally. It's not all bad though. It got me out of the huge mess that Mike and I were making in the kitchen. Cute boy finished cooking the meal and washed every last dish.

And today it's not so much on fire. Just tender to the touch. Don't worry, its not my 10-key hand.

Anyway, we had another work birthday last week and he chose this lovely Lemonade Cake. Everyone loved it so much, I'm actually making it again tonight. {Don't worry, I will use the hot pads tonight aaaannd I'll make sure Mike is there to babysit me.}


Lemonade Cake

The Stuff: {Cake}

1 1/3 cups sugar
6 tbsp butter, softened
The grated lemon rind of one lemon
3 tbsp thawed lemonade concentrate
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 egg whites
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

The Doing: {Cake}

Preheat oven to 350.

Beat sugar, butter, grated lemon rind, lemonade concentrate and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beat well after each addition.

Pour batter into to two greased 9-inch round cake pans.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

The Stuff: {Frosting}

1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
1 {8 oz} package of cream cheese, softened {1/3 less fat}
The grated lemon rind of one lemon
2 tsp thawed lemonade concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

The Doing: {Frosting}

Beat the butter, cream cheese, lemon rind, and lemonade concentrate in a medium bowl until well combined. Beat in vanilla. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Place frosting in the fridge for a bit to stiffen up.

When cakes are cooled completely, place one cake layer on a plate, and frost the top. Then place the remaining cake layer on top of it and use the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.

Keep cake refrigerated.

It's like summer in your mouth.

No comments :

Post a Comment