2.23.2012

What We Ate: {High School Peanut Butter Bars}

Some people look back at their middle school and high school years with fondness. And for the most part, I am one of those people. {Except middle school, I think those years were straight from the spawn of Satan.}
But let's be honest, today's focus isn't on those memories of friends or experiences.

It's on lunch.

And I know that people have their own, sometimes very strong, opinions about what is offered for lunch at school. And what it tastes like.

But I LOVED it.

The salads, the sub sandwiches, the cheese rolls {which I still crave on a daily basis}.
And people....where do they get their ranch dressing?! I neeeeeed to know this. So that I can go buy 17 cases.

But today's recipe? Peanut Butter Bars.

I am not sure if this is just a Utah high school treat, or maybe just the specific school district that I was in. Either way, you should probably make these.


High School Peanut Butter Bars

The Stuff:

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups oats

The Doing:

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the ingredients together. Spread on cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.

Chocolate Frosting

The Stuff:

1/4 cup butter, melted
3 large spoonfuls cocoa
1 tsp Vanilla
Half bag powdered sugar
Milk

The Doing:

Whip melted butter and cocoa together until smooth. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Milk should be added very slowly until desired consistency is achieved. {Which is why there is no measurement next to milk.}

4 comments :

  1. I need to eat this. Like right now. With some Nutella. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Totally pinning this.
    Looks amazing, and like a recipe that I HAVE to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i never had school lunch, but i always made my friends share these with me. they are SO GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember when I worked doing school lunch for a few months? It was in the same school district and they used the powdered ranch packets to make the ranch. I think it was Kraft or Hidden Valley... can't remember. Worth a try! Oh, and did I already tell you that I found a bread recipe exactly like the school lunch recipe because we could totally try making the cheese rolls.

    ReplyDelete