1.25.2012

What Made Me Sad: {Picnik}

For all us poor, starving college students {a little dramatic, but still...}, sometimes we just have to go without. One day, I'll have some of those bells and whistles, but for now, we sacrifice. Someone once explained it to me like this....you take out student loans to pay for that graduate degree. Yep. Those student loans {especially those graduate student loans} charge you a hefty amount of interest. Which by the way, is compounding. Lucky us. So even though you are not paying right now {since student loans don't come due until after graduation} you are still accumulating interest. Mmmhmm. So say you go out shopping. And I am quite the clearance shopper, if I do say so myself {people at work have coined the term "Abby Priced" because of how good of a deal I can usually get things for}. You find a shirt. It's half off! Good deal! But just remember, that when you actually pay that shirt off, it will be nearly twice the amount than you originally paid. So really, you didn't get the 50% off that you thought you were getting. Now you may say, well I wasn't using student loan money to pay for it though. Technically, all your money is student loan money. Unless, you, by some stretch of the imagination, make more money than your student loan payoff will be in what, 10, 20 years. And if you, or a spouse, is in a graduate program, then I highly doubt that.

You may think me a little ridiculous, but this is all very true. And yes, I still shop and buy things. Everyone deserves a little something every once in a while. But it just puts a different perspective on all that shopping and all that buying. Just a little food for thought.

But anyway, the reason that I started down that long road of student loan jibber jabber was because did you guys see this?


Take heed! Picnik is closing this April!


And if you don't know what Picnik is, it's one of the best {free} online photo editing websites that there is. And I really am just plain devastated. I edit all of my pictures with Picnik. All of them.

And I've seen the wonders of Photoshop, but who can afford that? Not poor, starving college students that have extreme ideas of student loan interest like me! And maybe if I was some fabulous photographer, I could justify it, but hence, I am not. But I do like to try to make my pictures look the way that I want them. And Picnik did the best {free} job.

So now what?

I guess I get my edit on since I have 'til April 19th before Picnik is officially gone forever.
Oh and guess I'm taking suggestions for other user friendly, awesome, free, online photo editing websites.

Ready, set, go.

4 comments :

  1. i got an email from them about that too, sad! All good things must come to an end i guess

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just walk tn feet and use your friends photo shop:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog today, and I have to tell you I found it so refreshing! Don't get me wrong, I love all the recipe and craft and life is perfect blog, but it was so great to read how real your blog is and your worries about your student loans. And yes, when you think of it that way it sure makes you think twice about buying a new shirt, doesn't it? Loans and interest make me so sick! We just paid off a 3500 loan today and it feels so good, but at the same time there are still many more pennies to be paid!

    Just glad I'm not the only one who stresses about this!

    Bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. found some alternatives!
    -Snapseed
    -FotoFlexer
    -Pixlr Express
    -Photoshop Express Online

    ReplyDelete